|| My passion is to teach groups of people mind-body techniques that empower them to improve their lives, creating healthy habits through mindful living.
- Health Psychology – Adjunct professor at UConn, Psychology Department, 2017-present
- Mindfulness and Meditation in Science and in Practice – Adjunct professor at Connecticut College, Neuroscience Program, 2016-present
- Freshman Year Experience Instructor and Co-Director of Women in Math, Science, and Engineering (WiMSE) Learning Community, 2013-2016
- Anatomy and Physiology Lab – Teaching Assistant, UConn, Physiology and Neurobiology Department, 2011-2013
- Yoga and guided meditation instructor for 14 years – Various locations, including yoga for faculty and staff
- George, B. 1, Acabchuk, R.L. 1, Hennessy, E. A., Johnson, B.T., Sharf, J., Salmoirago-Blotcher, E., Loucks, E.B. (submitted) Health Impacts of Mindfulness Interventions in College Undergraduates: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 1Co-first authors.
- Wu, Y., Johnson, B.T., Acabchuk R. L., Livingston, J., Chen, S.Q., Lewis, H., Park, C.S., Pescatello, L.S. (2019). The Antihypertensive Benefits of Yoga: A Meta-Analysis. Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
- *Johnson, B. T., & Acabchuk, R. L. (2018). What are the keys to a longer, happier life? Answers from five decades of health psychology research. Social Science & Medicine,196, 218-226.
- Acabchuk, R. L., Kamath, J., Salamone, J. D., & Johnson, B. T. (2017). Stress and chronic illness: The inflammatory pathway. Social Science & Medicine, (1982), 185, 166.
- *Acabchuk, R. L., & Johnson, B. T. (2017). Helmets in women’s lacrosse: what the evidence shows. Concussion, 2(2), CNC39.
- Most-read paper Concussion published in 2017.
- Acabchuk R. L., Briggs DI, Angoa-Pérez M, Powers M, Wolferz Jr R, Soloway M, Stern M, Talbot LR, Kuhn DM, Conover JC. (2016). Repeated mild traumatic brain injury causes focal response in lateral septum and hippocampus. Concussion, 1(3), CNC13.
- Acabchuk R. L., Sun Y, Wolferz Jr R., Lennington JB, Shook BA, Conover JC (2015). 3D modeling of the lateral ventricles and histological characterization of periventricular tissue in humans and mouse. Journal of visualized experiments: JoVE, (99).
- Eastman M. B., Acabchuk R. L., Conover J.C. (2016). Age-Related Changes to the Subventricular Zone Stem Cell Niche. In Neural Stem Cells in Health and Disease (pp. 35-68).
- Shook BA1, Lennington JB1, Acabchuk RL1, Halling M, Sun Y, Peters J, Wu Q, Mahajan A, Fellows DW, Conover JC (2014). Ventriculomegaly associated with ependymal gliosis and declines in barrier integrity in the aging human and mouse brain. Aging Cell, 13(2), 340-350. 1Co-first authors.
- Abstract of Distinction, Society of Prevention Research, 2018. Health Impacts of Mindfulness Interventions in College Undergraduates: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials
- Swami Kuvalyananda Research Abstract Award 2017. Presented by the International Association of Yoga Therapists for Excellence and Innovation in Yoga Research at the Symposium for Yoga Research, Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health, Stockbridge, MA. Role: First author
- Editorial Associate, Health Psychology section, Social Science & Medicine, 2016-
- Outstanding Graduate Assistant Award – University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, 2014. (Awarded to 1 GA per year for outstanding teaching, excellent interpersonal skills, and contribution to the development of the instructional program.)
- 100 Years of Women Scholarship Award – University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, 2014. (Awarded to 2 female students per year for commitment and service to women’s issues.)
- Winner of UCONN’s Three Minute Thesis Contest; International Finalist, 2014
- Neuroscience Fellowship – University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, 2014-15